Here are ten free exercises to flatten stomach muscles. Why “free”? Because you don’t need to go to the gym. You can easily do these at home without any special equipment, or with just basic things like a stability ball, a chair with back support and arm rests and/or an ab wheel.
If you’ve already seen how to exercise to lose belly fat fast, you know that one of the two workouts you need are abdominal exercises.
It’s true, there are many free exercises to flatten stomach available on the net, but not all will help you lose belly fat fast.
To get the best results you need specific exercises that provide enough resistance to your abdominal muscles. These are generally the lower body curls vs. upper body curls, which provide less resistance (as your upper body is typically lighter than your lower body).
For your convenience, lower on this page you’ll find a list of ten such exercises that work best for this purpose, some of them with detailed descriptions.
But before listing the best abdominal exercises that target your entire core region including your abdominal muscles, there are…
…3 Types of Exercises to Avoid
Why avoid them? Because they could easily hurt your lower back. These are:
- Lying straight-legged leg raises
- Sit-ups – either with feet supported or straight legged
- Any machine-based abdominals or twistings
So please be careful to avoid this group of potentially harmful exercises.
Now let’s give you the list of…
…Best Free Exercises to Flatten Stomach Muscles
Here are 10 free exercises to flatten your stomach quickly:
- Lying leg thrusts (hip thrusts)
- Reverse crunches (crunching hips off floor)
- Abdominal bicycles (alternating knees to elbows)
- Abdominal scissors
- Flutter Kicks
- Hanging leg or knee raises (with a hunched back)
- Alternating (oblique) crunches
- Captain’s chair leg
- Stability ball crunches
- Stability ball hip flexion (knee tucks)
Let’s take a closer look at some of these free exercises to flatten stomach muscles.
1. Lying leg thrusts is a 2-part exercise to lose belly fat fast containing a halfway down leg raise followed by a vertical hip thrust (do 2 sets of 5-15 repetitions each, depending on your condition):
A) Lie on your back with your head and shoulders raised off of the floor, your hands by your hips, palms down and your legs at a 90° angle from the floor.
B) Lower your legs slowly half way to the floor, then back up to the 90° position.
C) Once your legs reached the 90° position, thrust your hips vertically off the floor.
2. Reverse Crunches – done properly, is one of the best abdominal exercises (do 2 sets of 5-15 repetitions each):
A) Lie on your back with your head and shoulders raised off of the floor, your hands behind your head, your knees very slightly bent and feet in the air, crossed at the ankles.
B) Slowly lift your hips 1-2 inches off the floor and hold this position for a moment squeezing your abdominal muscles, then slowly lower your hips.
3. Abdominal Bicycles is a highly effective exercise to lose belly fat fast, a smooth, horizontal movement of your legs like you were pedaling in the air (do 10-30 repetitions, depending on your condition):
A) Lie on your back with your head and shoulders raised off of the floor, hands behind your ears and knees lifted up to your chest; point your toes.
B) Twist the left side of your upper body bringing your left elbow and right knee together simultaneously, then your right elbow and left knee together simultaneously.
4. Abdominal Scissors (do 5-20 repetitions):
A) Lie on your back with your both arms straight back over your head and your legs at a 45° angle from the floor.
B) Bring arms forward and your shoulders off the ground while simultaneously bringing your legs and hips up to slightly cross over your arms.
5. Flutter Kicks is a very popular exercise to lose belly fat fast (do 2 sets of 15-30 repetitions):
A) Lie on your back with your head and shoulders raised off of the floor, your hands by your hips, palms down and your legs about 6 inches off the floor with the toes pointed out.
B) Make small, rapid up and down scissor-like motions with your legs squeezing your abdominal muscles.
When it comes to doing these free exercises to flatten stomach muscles and getting the best belly fat loss result, the most important thing to remember is to do them properly, i.e. at the maximum intensity your body allows and maintaining the correct form, as described above.
Also, there’s one more thing to remember. All these free exercises to flatten stomach muscles listed above are going to give you much quicker results if you follow the bust belly fat diet >>
Well, I’m Alex and I hope you find valuable this practical guide to fast healthy weight loss! As your coach here, at Brainy Weight Loss I’ll show you how to make the impossible possible and the possible… easy & fun 🙂