Find out here the basic characteristics, weight loss diet and fat-burning workout for each of the three body types: Endomorph, Mesomorph and Ectomorph, plus examples of in-shape celebrities for each. You don’t need to take a body type test – these pics speak for themselves!
You should know that this system is based on Dr.William Sheldon’s somatotypes, one of the earliest body typing systems in the Western world.
There are others that we’ve been talking about, but this three body types system describes the different male and female body types when it comes to gaining and losing weight through controlled nutrition and exercising.
You’ll not only figure out immediately what your body type is without taking a body type test; you’ll find practical suggestions for your ideal eating plan and workout routine to lose weight quickly and keep the weight off.
So take a look at the examples below and – based on the general characteristics – determine which of these three body types you have:
Before getting to each of the three body types, keep in mind two key points.
1) There is almost always some overlapping between these predominant body types; you can be a “pure” type or a combination of two types: Endo-Mesomorph or Meso-Ectomorph.
2) Your specific body type is a genetic blueprint and will always remain the same. There’s no moving from one group to another even when you change the ratio of body fat over muscle mass with the right nutrition and workouts for your type. For example, if you are predominantly a Mesomorph, you can trim down as much as you can, but you’ll never become an Ectomorph. Similarly, you can be an in-shape Endomorph, but you still can’t pass as a Mesomorph.
Let’s take a look now at each one of these:
Three Body Types: #1. Endomorph
You certainly know in-shape celebrities who are Endomorphs… Jennifer Lopez, Oprah Winfrey, Kate Winslet, Cindy Crawford… are just a few.
From all three body types, Endomorphs are known in the fitness world as the “fat retainers”. As an Endomorph you will always struggle to lose weight and will have to pay much more attention to what you eat and how you exercise because you are genetically prone to store fat easily.
Let’s see some of Endomorphs’ basic characteristics:
- Temperament: caring, patient, tolerant, extroverted, very nourishing, loves comfort (even luxury), good food and being with people.
- Bone frame: typically a heavier build with short limbs and large joints, wide hips and shoulders.
- Soft tissue: tend to be naturally well-covered with fat tissue, even a little overweight; women are softer and curvier, with a very feminine aspect.
- Metabolism: sluggish, low energy; stores fat easily and holds onto it stronger than all other body types, retains fluids easily.
Endomorphs’ Ideal Body Type Diet & Workout Plan
As an Endomorph, your nutrition for losing weight should be roughly up to 30% complex carbs (starchy vegetables, brown rice, whole grains), about 45% quality protein (chicken/turkey breast, lean beef, whey protein) and about 25% healthy fats: omega 3s (fish, seafood, flaxseed oil) and coconut oil, which helps to increase the endomorphs’ sluggish metabolism. Also, to keep your metabolic rate up, divide your daily meals into smaller portions so that you have something to eat handy every 3-4 hours.
Avoid as much as you can all types of sugar (including all fruits, except berries) and simple carbohydrates (white flour products, pasta, white rice, potatoes). Why? Because they cause a rapid rise of your blood sugar level, which, in turn triggers the release of insulin, the fat-storage hormone.
Lastly, try to never end your meals feeling completely full.
Strength training: tone-up your muscle mass 3-4 times a week at higher intensity to keep your metabolism high and shape up your body. The most effective type of strength training for the endomorph body type? Bodyweight exercises – a.k.a. calisthenics. These burn fat big time and you don’t need a gym; can do them wherever you like.
Aerobic exercise: as an endomorph you need more cardio than the other body types to lose fat and keep it off. But not any cardio will do. Forget the traditional steady-pace aerobics and focus on high intensity interval training (HIIT) instead.
If you want to see the pounds drop off really fast, do 30 minutes high intensity interval training 3-4 times a week, preferably in the morning to boost your metabolism for the rest of the day. In addition, get more active during the day – you really need to stay in motion to keep your metabolism up and keep burning calories.
IMPORTANT! If your body type is predominantly Endomorph, you probably hate any type of exercise or intense physical activity. However, keep in mind that of all the three body types, for Endomorphs diet alone is NEVER enough to lose weight, keep it off and shape up. Your slow metabolic rate must be boosted constantly with both strength training and high intensity interval training workouts.
Want to get the pounds off quickly and reshape your body without hunger or going at the gym? Would it be helpful to you to see workout videos showing you the correct (and safe) way to exercise for your body shape and step-by-step guidance to unleash your perfect body? If you need an effective program that’s flexible and fits into your life no matter your age and current shape you’re in, I encourage you to take a look at this program >>
Three Body Types: #2. Mesomorph
Notable examples of in-shape Mesomorphs are Madonna, Britney Spears, Gloria Estefan, Tina Turner…
Some of Mesomorphs’ characteristics are…
- Temperament: active, dynamic, assertive, courageous, energetic, even aggressive and competitive, and often risk taker.
- Bone frame: powerful frame, medium build, medium joints, large bones, with broad shoulders wider than the hips (slightly wider for women and a LOT more wider for men).
- Soft tissue: naturally (i.e., when not overweight) with a lot of dense muscle mass and lean (even without exercising).
- Metabolism: fast; losing fat and gaining muscle easily, but hard to get really skinny due to the dense muscle mass.
Mesomorphs’ Ideal Body Type Diet & Workout Plan
Avoid fatty foods (full-fat dairy, fatty meats, cold cuts, mayonnaise, very rich desserts,) and minimize as much as possible refined cabs (sugars and white flour products), as they cause rapid weight gain triggering a fat-storage metabolism.
As a Mesomorph, you should eat 3 smaller meals favoring foods high in quality protein (whey, turkey, chicken, lean beef, eggs) and complex carbohydrates (leafy greens and non-starchy vegetables).
Your nutritional blueprint looks like this: approx. 45% complex carbs, 35% quality proteins and up to 20% healthy fats; use cold-pressed virgin olive oil and flaxseed oil in salads and try cooking with coconut oil.
Include fish and seafood, as they are good omega 3s sources – omega 3 and weight loss connection is well-known.
In between meals get a healthy snack: fruits (except the sweet ones, like:
bananas, pineapple, grapes, mango, watermelon), raw almonds, plain yogurt or various smoothies with the right foods for you, as above.
Strength training: strengthen your core with Pilates or specific calisthenics exercises to flatten your stomach. Tone your body and shape-up your muscles through bodyweight workouts 2-3 times a week.
Aerobic exercise: you’ll keep looking lean and trim including 20-30 min. of aerobics 3 times a week at moderate to fast pace. The most effective aerobic workouts are aquatic exercises, crunch cardio, hula hoop workouts, circuit training, stairmaster, rope jumping, power yoga.
Again, if it would it be helpful to you to see workout videos showing you the correct (and safe) way to exercise for your body shape and step-by-step guidance to unleash your perfect body AND if you need an effective program that’s flexible and fits into your life no matter your age and current shape you’re in, I encourage you to take a look at this program >>
Three Body Types: #3. Ectomorph
Some well-known, in-shape Ectomorphs are Angelina Jolie, Paris Hilton, Michelle Pfeiffer, Whitney Houston.
However, this doesn’t mean they can’t get overweight.
Here are some of Ectomorphs’ characteristics:
- Temperament: typically hyperactive, sensitive, artistic, highly self-aware, apprehensive, introverted, socially restrained.
- Bone frame: long, thin limbs, small joints, light build, with small waist and narrow shoulders.
- Soft tissue: not much muscle tissue or body fat, typically underweight.
- Metabolism: fast, not storing carbs as fat; difficulty to gain muscle, low in muscular strength.
Ectomorphs’ Ideal Body Type Diet & Workout Plan:
Avoid fatty foods, especially animal fat, cold cuts, mayonnaise, full-fat dairy, rich desserts, packaged foods, chips.
As an Ectomorph, your ideal nutrition consists of about 55% of complex carbohydrates (whole grains, rice, nuts, all vegetables), approx. 30% quality proteins (whey, turkey, chicken, eggs), and up to 15% healthy fats like cold-pressed virgin olive oil, flaxseed oil and good omega 3 sources like fish and seafood.
Strength training: build up your muscle mass through daily moderate-heavy intensity split routine, working parts of your body alternatively and individually with body weight workouts, like a high intensity calisthenics routine or the five Tibetan exercises for increased strength and flexibility.
Aerobic exercise: aerobic workouts aren’t really necessary for weight loss; but they are important for you so you can release stress (an issue for most ectomorphs), build stamina and improve your heart health: 15-20 min. aerobic exercise each day at a moderate pace is enough. The best aerobic activities for you are the ones that you really love doing: swimming, brisk walking, running, biking – whatever you enjoy the most.
Take a look at this program, it may be just what you’re looking for!
As you can see, you don’t need to take a body type test to identify your type. Just follow the guidelines above and losing weight won’t be a struggle!
Are you a woman?
As you age and gain more weight, you may relate better to the body typing system of Apples and Pears body shapes >>