Physical Benefits Of Laughter: Did You Know about these 7 Weight Loss Benefits of Laughter Therapy?
Have you ever expected to read about the physical benefits of laughter on a weight loss site?
Well, read on to see how laughter therapy helps you lose weight... while having loads of fun!
Speaking of having fun, you may also enjoy our selection of inspirational weight loss quotes by well-known celebrities.
And, why not check our collection of weight loss motivation quotes too, especially if you struggle to stay motivated while trying to get the extra weight off.
Believe it or not, laughter therapy is a great weight loss booster. There are tons of lengthy scientific papers about the physical benefits of laughter, which you certainly won't be amused to read, so here's just a brief summary:
Seven Weight Loss Benefits of Laughter
- Laughter stimulates both sides of your brain and lowers the harmful levels of stress hormones like epinephrine, cortisol, and dopamine, responsible for your increased weight-gain (Paul J. Rosch, M.D., president of the American Institute of Stress)
- Laughter is a true internal jogging that increases your breathing, your body temperature, your metabolism, your heart rate, and your pulse (Steven M. Sultanoff, Ph.D., president of the American Association for Therapeutic Humor)
- Laughter is great aerobics: it provides a good workout for your midsection and your diaphragm, boosts your blood flow and increases your body's ability to use oxygen to burn off more calories (Michael Miller - University of Maryland, Baltimore)
- Laughter is an all-over body workout: it massages your abdominal organs, improves your intestinal functioning, tones and strengthens your facial, respiratory, leg, and back muscles (Paul E. McGhee, Ph.D., popular author of numerous books on the health benefits of laughter, including "Psycho-neuro-immunology and Humor")
- If you have diabetes, makes sure you put laughter on your plate, as it decreases the usual spike in your blood sugar after a meal (Japanese researchers Hayashi & Murakami)
- Laughter increases your physical energy and self-esteem, making you much more likely to exercise, which you might otherwise avoid (according to a study done at the University of Maryland Medical Center)
- Ten minutes of hearty laughter daily would burn an average of five pounds a year (according to the researchers from Vanderbilt University in Tennessee)
There's no doubt - laughter is a great thing and the physical benefits of laughter are too many to count. You've certainly heard the saying, "laughter is the best medicine", or, to cite the American humorist Josh Billings, "There ain't much fun in medicine, but there's a heck of a lot of medicine in fun."
Having fun is essential to your health and laughter does some pretty amazing stunts in your body. Here are more health benefits of laughter.
Six More Physical Benefits of Laughter Therapy
"Laughing is the sensation of feeling good all over and showing it principally in one spot." ~ Josh Billings, American humorist
- Laughter increases your endorphins levels, giving you that feel good sensation
- Laughter decreases your dopamine levels - a stress neuro-hormone responsible for the "fight or flight response", caused by fear, stress, rage, or hostility, and associated with elevated blood pressure and the risk of stroke
- Laughing relaxes your whole body and reduces problems associated with arthritis and ulcers
- Regular laughter provides you with an excellent source of cardiac exercise and lowers your resting heart rates
- Laughter strengthens your immune system increasing infection-fighting antibodies and alleviating any allergic symptoms you might experience
- Laughter increases your respiration, causing a profound process of air exchange at the blood capillaries level; as a result, oxygenated blood feeds your entire body, including your brain, with a great positive impact on your thinking and learning
There Aren't Just Physical Benefits of Laughter
The psychological, emotional, and social benefits are equally important as well. For example...
- Laughter fosters positive thinking and replaces your distressing emotions with pleasurable feelings - you can't possibly feel angry, depressed, anxious, guilty, or resentful and laugh at the same time
- Laughter reduces significantly your psychological stress by giving you a different perspective on your life and world (it's not certain situations that generate your stress, but the meaning you place on those situations)
- Laughing is a great team building tool as it unleashes inhibitions, enhances your self-esteem and your behavior, your ability to connect, talk more, and make more eye contact with others
So don't miss the chance of experiencing the physical benefits of laughter for yourself - have a bit of fun with the funniest weight loss jokes >>
<< Return to Weight Loss Jokes from Physical Benefits of Laughter
Go from the Physical Benefits of Laughter to Brainy Weight Loss Home